Conservative Blog – Democrat Stages of Early Adolescence
As another summer draws to a close, America is looking back to understand what it means to be an American Family. Although a specific definition of ‘American Family’ is quite impossible to produce, suffice it to say that celebrating the challenges, joys and even some of the failures of parenthood is just cause for a Labor Day cookout.
So while the dogs and young ones tear up the landscaping next weekend with games of chase and Frisbee, it calls to mind why the youthful and carefree lifestyle is so enjoyable; it is free of serious responsibility. In politics, youthful and ‘hip’ leaders are also called to this lifestyle for exactly the same reason. These modern day Peter Pans are called Liberals. Giving away free health care even to people who are in the country illegally is easy – especially when someone else has to pay for it.
Anyone who has raised children into their teenage years understands the challenges. Watching the young one stay awake into the morning hours and then listening to him whine about lethargy and fatigue after falling out of bed at 6:00 am seems illogical to adults. To the teenage mind, staying up late and getting up early are two incidents that aren’t connected. They occur on different days and are therefore different events.
Democrats and liberals have difficulty connecting events that to most adults appear to be logically associated. A favorite example is the closing of Guantanamo detention center. Liberals wanted the facility closed, but had no real idea what to do with the prisoners. The two issues just weren’t connected. As a result, the President issued the closure orders and when real people objected to the plan to move the detainees onshore, liberals were dumbfounded that this was even a problem. Eventually, Obama paid off the Bermuda government to take a few of these lunatics out of Guantanamo, so instead of US voters being upset, the UK government is upset. It seems that the Obama administration failed to understand that the government of Bermuda and the United Kingdom were linked in any meaningful way.
Of course the most famous example is found in the health care debate. While the President and His leftist groupies in the media insist that His plan won’t lead to care rationing, the actual paperwork in the House bill indicates that the actual cost savings come from restricting payment on services. Restricting payments on services is the same as restricting services. With a government board deciding what services are to be delivered to which patient and under what conditions, Doctors and patients may no longer chose the course of action that is best for them. So any rational mind understands that no matter what the golden-tongued President says, the actual plan indicates that rationing will occur. Without rationing of care, there will be no cost control. Either the President can’t handle truth or he believes – as do most adolescent youth – that He can simply change the rules of economics through silly slogans.
Failure to make logical associations between action (or inaction) and result is only one hallmark of adolescence. The following are the top ten reasons that Democrats and Liberals really are adolescents in their governing philosophy and emotional development.
10. Continuing egocentrism; Intense self-focus - One old joke holds that the most dangerous place in Washington is between Joe Biden and a television camera. Now that Democrats control Congress and the White House, it would seem that there is plenty of camera-love to go around. All middle schoolers remember the popular and conceited leader supported by his/her brainless groupies… Obama is just extending the tradition to the federal government.
9. Continuing concern for gaining social approval – Being part of what the sixties generations referred to as the ‘in-crowd’ is central to a Democrat’s self esteem. The ‘in-crowd’ defines cultural norms – such as the ability to twitter. Supreme Court liberals also use international law as basis for evaluating legislative intent – purely for the purpose of ‘fitting in’ with the rest of the world. Adults care more about doing the right thing than they do about fitting in.
8. Questioning of social conventions and re-examination of own values and moral/ethical principles, sometimes resulting in conflicts with parents – Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor famously opined that Latina females made better decisions than white male counterparts within the US judiciary because of their unique perspective on life. Children have a unique perspective on life as well.
This perspective usually centers on enjoying themselves while someone else pays the bills. Democrats want others to do the work and pay the taxes while they enjoy perpetual re-election. For those that remember their first middle school group project, the popular kid always got the most credit for the least contribution.
7. Frequent mood swings – Ms. Boxer, current Senator from the bankrupt state of California, became incensed over being addressed as “Ma’am” during a Senate Committee hearing. The general in question, Brigadier General Michael Walsh of the Army Corps of Engineers was testifying before Boxer’s committee and committed the sin of addressing Ms. Boxer as “Ma’am” – the standard respectful term of a military officer. Ms. Boxer then pulled out her cell phone and sent a blast text message to her peeps about being disrespected by the Brigadier General. Emotional reaction to inconsequential events – especially when no disrespect was ever intended – is a characteristic of the middle school ‘in-crowd.’
6. Changes in own expectations alter previous relationships with parents and others, often resulting in greater conflict – Federal assistance provided to Bank of America and Citigroup was to be the initial olive branch extended by liberals to the business community. Following the liberals’ generosity, banks were supposed to agree to be taken over and used by the Obama administration as tools in further manipulating the free economy. Bankers quickly discovered that working for the federal government was very much less than enjoyable – not to mention profitable and quickly worked out a method to repay taxpayer funds. Democrats then tried to refuse the return of taxpayer money as that would release banks from government control. As with most middle school relationships, control is the central issue and money is a means to achieve it.
5. Focusing more on peer friendships – This is a critical failing of the Obama administration in particular. The President based his entire foreign policy around inviting other nations to be part of the world community. It never dawned on him that there might be some that didn’t want to join. North Korea still wants to threaten the US with nuclear and missile capacity. Every attempt to bring the DPRK into the ‘community of nations’ has been roundly laughed at. Obama’s most serious statements of objection are laughable – including “stop the provocations,” “we are deeply concerned,” and the ever famous “I strongly condemn their reckless actions.” Nations with adults running their governments understand that these statements mean nothing. Obama set himself up as the middle school Social Worker who speaks well, but really doesn’t understand what life is like in the hallways between classes.
4. Increasing interest in making decisions while overestimating own abilities – Akin to #5 above, the Obama administration places great faith in its ability to change hearts and minds. Obama believes that changing hearts and minds is possible with words. Adults understand that changing hearts and minds is a result of action taken or not taken.
3. Objecting more often to limitations on conduct, results in higher levels of conflict – Being restrained by authority is something lefties really hate. Like a child being told that he can’t have the car on Friday night because he hasn’t cut the grass seem makes no sense to the adolescent because use of the car and cutting the grass seem to be unrelated issues. The concept of consequence doesn’t apply in the liberal or adolescent mind. Liberals really fight limitations on spending. After all, Democrat vote buying schemes are much easier to finance when taxpayer dollars are used.
2. Has limited ability to extend logic to abstract concepts – This is an elementary feature of the liberal/adolescent mind. Particularly when policies have been tried in the past and revealed to be proven failures, liberals and early teen agers have no problem making the same mistakes multiple times. Inflation – the single biggest threat to the American middle class – is a direct result of government overspending. Jimmy Carter ignited the Reagan Revolution because he failed to understand the relationship between spending, borrowing, debt and unemployment – which fortunately led directly to his own unemployment. Democrats are in power now, but when the Stimulus inflation ignites a fresh wave of inflation, look for the lefties to take it on the chin in 2010 and still wonder why.
1. Thinking abilities are practiced in increased use of arguments or “talking back.” For a generation of liberal voters reliant on Leno and Letterman for meaningful insight, the current generation of liberals has fallen back on the use of diatribe instead of discourse. Discourse implies a willingness of all parties to be convinced of a given point of view based on evidence. Diatribe is performance-based without regard to matters of evidence. Obama and his supporters – like most middle school aged children – believe their eloquence and performance abilities overrule any evidence requirement. (CNN and Chris Mathew’s leg also believe this.) This explains why the President or his staff won’t tolerate challenging questions. It also explains why reporters rarely present them.
Interestingly, ‘talking back’ is a concept that Democrats practice themselves, but can’t tolerate from others. The health care town hall meetings show how incredibly inept Democrats are when confronted with their failures. The “in crowd” doesn’t understand why they can’t simply do what they want because they are popular. Their reactions are typified by feelings of disbelief and incomprehension which they respond to by attacking on the character of those that confront them. It is appropriate then that so many of the Democrat town hall meetings are being held in the local middle school cafeteria.